Page created: 9th October 2003|
Last updated: 12th October 2003
The FAME is site devoted to systematic and scientific study of flags and coats of arms. Such symbols often bear strong political and other messages. Inclusion of those symbols here does not mean that the author support or approve the ideas they may stand for.
The Axis powers lounched attack on Yugoslavia on 6 April 1941 and she was defeated within few weeks. The royal family and government fled to London, and the country was disolved. Parts were annexed directly by the attacking countries, the puppet Independent State of Croatia was formed and Serbia and Montenegro was under occupational govrnment. The Communist Party lead by Tito organized strougle against occupators consoldating all the forces that opposed the Axis forming the National Liberation Movement. The symbol of their strougle was five-pointed red star. Since the very begining the symbol was also used on the national tricolours carried by the partrisan units.
The red five-pointed star was initially used by the partisan fighters as the symbol of the liberation movement and the communist revolution. The first official adoption of the symbol on the flags was in the Stolice meeting 26 September 1941 where it was decided that the partisan units shall carry their national tricolour according to the ethnic composition of the units, with a five-pointed red star in the middle. The general staff was to use a red flag with a yellow bordered red five-pointed star near the hoist. The shape, size and the exact placement of the star was never spcified in more details until the end of the war, and there where numerous variations. The "fat" star was one of the most commonly used variations.
The coat of arms for the new state was devised by the Belgrade artist Đorđe Andrejević-Kun around 1943, with the date of the Jajce conference added after it. It was officially adopted only in 1946 Constitution in slightly different artistic representation.
The first ensigns hoisted on the partisan boats and ships in 1942 consisted of the Yugoslav tricolour in the first two thirds of the flag length while the remaining third consisted of the three national tricolours of Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. The Yugoslav tricolour was defaced with a red five-pointed star and a white anchor. Several flags of this type were preserved in the museum in Split. They were gardually replaced with the latter prescribed flags.
After the Jajce conference on which the new Yugoslav state was born on 29 November 1943, the General Staff of the National Liberation Army of Yugoslavia issued a command signed by Marchal Tito on the naval and merchant ensigns to be used by the ships of the Democratic Federal Yugoslavia. The naval ensign was adopted to be the Yugoslav tricolour with the red five-pointed star in the middle of the white stripe ensigned with a white anchor.
At the same time as the previous flag, the merchant flag was adopted to be equal, but without the anchor, that is, the Yugoslav tricolour with the five-pointed red star in the middle of the white stripe.